2020 Call for Art: Solo Exhibition of Immersive Installation Art at METHOD Gallery
METHOD is accepting submissions from individual artists in the Pacific Northwest for a solo exhibition scheduled during the 2020 exhibition calendar. Please note that METHOD Gallery solely exhibits installation art and is seeking exceptional works in this arena only.
Professional Artists (in any medium) residing in The Pacific Northwest are invited to apply (WA, OR, ID and B.C.)
Women artists, artists in communities of color and LGBTQAI artists are strongly encouraged to apply!
Diversity in our gallery has been a big goal of ours since we opened 7 years ago... Help us spread the word to these communities and encourage their applications!
Groups of artists that wish to collaborate to create one cohesive artwork (rather than a group show) are also welcome to apply.
PLEASE READ THIS CALL CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY PRIOR TO SUBMISSION.
Application deadline is MONDAY JULY 1, 2019: 5:00pm PST
The mission of METHOD is to foster and exhibit sculpture and immersive installation art that regards process, material, and concept, while engaging the gallery space.
We endeavor to:
- promote a changing program of visually stimulating, well-researched, and thoughtful subversive installation exhibitions.
- provide a venue for interdisciplinary thinking that supports exploration and creative problem solving
- provide a contemporary exhibition space for artists who are working outside the traditional commercial standard.
- offer a platform for discussion on artistic content, aesthetics, technical considerations, experimentation, and the creative process that are supported by artists’ talks.
- present exhibitions that question, inform, and inspire through engagement with the larger community.
WE WILL BE SELECTING ARTWORK THAT MOST CLEARLY ALIGNS WITH OUR GALLERY MISSION AND THAT UTILIZE NEW WORKS DEDICATED TO DEEPLY TRANSFORMING THE GALLERY SPACE FOR THE VIEWING PUBLIC. We ask all of our artists to embrace the window view as a primary exhibition experience. Please address this in your application by telling us about this vantage point (it should be an integral part of your exhibit).
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS (ALL MATERIALS SHOULD BE AT PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS FOR SUBMISSION)
- Exhibition proposal: a written outline of the theme and scope of the immersive installation and how it will utilize/transform the gallery. Please tell us how you are approaching the two gallery experiences, both inside the gallery and the street view through the windows.`
- Supporting visual materials in the form of jpeg, audio or video file. See Image Preparations for guidelines on formats for submission
- Work sample description sheet: title, year made, materials used, photo credit (Microsoft Word)
- A proposed floor plan of the gallery for the exhibit. Floor Plan Here
- Concept sketches and images as needed to support your application (.jpg files)
- Professional Artist Resume (Microsoft Word)
- Professional Artist Statement (Microsoft Word)
- Professional Artist BIO (Microsoft Word)
- Submissions MUST be shared electronically via Dropbox.com. Please "SHARE" your application in a single folder, titled with your last name with the username firstname.lastname@example.org. Do this by going to the right of your Dropbox folder and clicking "share" then entering our email address. Dropbox is automatically share this file to our account.
- PLEASE DO NOT MAIL OR EMAIL SUBMISSION MATERIALS.
IMAGE PREPARATION GUIDELINES
For visual files: JPEG only, no smaller than 1920 pixels on longest side, 72ppi/dpi, 3MB maximum
Label your JPEG files "01 to 10" followed by your last name. For example, Joe Smith's image files would be: 01-SMITH.jpg, 02-SMITH.jpg, etc.
Number the image file names in the order you would like them viewed. Make sure these numbers correspond to your Work Sample Description Sheet.
For audio files: send a link to soundcloud or URL link with your application
For video files: send a link to vimeo or URL link with your application
GENERAL EXHIBITION INFORMATION
METHOD will provide:
- One, 6-8 week solo exhibition in our professional, non-profit gallery, free of charge to the artist,
- Studio visit and curatorial input. Studio visit occurs 5-6 weeks prior to install. 75% of work must be completed at this time.
- Guidance and assistance in the installation of the show. We also ask that artists be open for constructive criticism during the studio visit and install period.
- METHOD staff to sit during public hours. Other arrangements may be considered with prior approval.
- METHOD will provide a loan agreement for the piece(s) of work displayed. Artists are responsible for all sales and are asked to make a 30% tax deductible donation to METHOD to help offset overheads costs.
- METHOD will produce press releases and advertising through social media and possibly some local print listings. All PR including social media will be initiated by METHOD. All use of METHOD logo must be pre-aproved by METHOD staff.
- METHOD will provide beverages for a private, invitation only artist talk/event in addition to the public 1st Thursday Gallery Walk(s) during the exhibition.
- METHOD does not provide insurance coverage for artwork or personal equipment. Personal property insurance is strongly suggested to be carried by the artist for all artwork and special equipment.
TBD during the 2020 exhibition calendar.
METHOD regrets that we are not able to offer any financial support towards the production of works, artist fees, transport, travel or accommodation.
WHILE WE AT METHOD LOVE VIDEO ART, we do request that the gallery windows NOT be blacked out for any exhibition. An alternate idea of transforming the windows to limit light needs to be addressed in your submission in order to maintain our street presence.
Artist will be responsible for transport of artworks to and from METHOD and will need to pay/ pre-pay for any associated packing/postage/transport costs to and from METHOD. The gallery does not provide packing materials or storage facilities for work or large amounts of packing materials and/or crates.
For floor plan of gallery please click here
NOTE: INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
QUESTIONS or ASSISTANCE WITH THE SUBMISSION PROCESS?
If you have any problems with your application or questions, please contact us at email@example.com